Host ID: 152
Previous Music Production Setup
- Master Tracks Pro: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_Tracks_Pro
- Kawai K4 synthesizer: http://www.polynominal.com/site/studio/gear/synth/kawai-k4/kawai-k4.html
- Apple GarageBand: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GarageBand
Current Music Production Setup
- Qtractor: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qtractor
- JACK: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JACK_Audio_Connection_Kit
- QJackCtl: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qjackctl
- Hydrogen Drum Machine: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_(software)
- Yoshimi: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoshimi_(synthesizer)
- Amsynth: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amsynth
- Fluidsynth: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FluidSynth
- WhySynth: http://linuxsynths.com/WhySynthBanksDemos/whysynth.html
- QMidiArp: http://qmidiarp.sourceforge.net/
- Hexter: http://linuxsynths.com/HexterPatchesDemos/hexter.html
- Calf Plugins: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calf_Studio_Gear
- Audacity: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audacity_(audio_editor)
I follow-up on my Frotz episode by covering Son of Hunky Punk, a Z-machine interpreter for Android. I also test my copy of ZORK I to see if it works as well as it did on Frotz.
Son of Hunky Punk - IFWiki
Hunky Punk (the original)
- IRC: claudiom (#oggcastplanet on Freenode)
- E-mail: claudio (at) linuxbasement (dot) com
Frotz is an interpreter for Infocom games (like Zork) and other Z-machine games. You can install it via your respective package manager or download the source code from the URLs below.
In this HPR episode, I discuss the open-sourcing of Colossal Cave Adventure (a text adventure computer game), my childhood exposure to text adventure games, and passing along the text adventure torch to my middle son thanks to the "bsdgames" package.
Opening sound clip taken from "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey." Closing song is "The Free Software Song" performed by Mark Forry, Yvette Osborne, Ron Fox, Steve Finney, Bill Cope, Kip McAtee, Ernie Provencher, Dan Auvil (http://www.gnu.org/music/free-software-song.en.html).
IRC: ClaudioM on irc.freenode.net, #oggcastplanet
Wikipedia: Colossal Cave Adventure
The Advent of ADVENT
The Adventure Begins Again
Github: Open Adventure
ClaudioM's Blog: The Adventure Begins Again, and it Begins for Us!
LinuxQuestions Wiki: BSD Games
Youtube: "Aventure 2: Pirate Cove" for the Commodore VIC-20 / Commodore VC-20
Wikipedia: Mattel Aquarius
Wikipedia: Hunt the Wumpus
SourceForge: Frotz, A Portable Z-Machine Interpreter
ClaudioM talks about how he came to Linux beginning with an introduction on how he came to computers and how a simple advertisement for an UNIX book would eventually lead to his love for Linux.
- http://www.seflin.org (redirects to http://netforum.avectra.com/eweb/DynamicPage.aspx?Site=SEFLIN)
- Telnet for Dade County: dc.seflin.org
In this episode, Claudio recaps episode 1 and covers the what, why, and how of his motherboard purchase.
In this episode, Claudio talks about his current desktop PC and covers the what, why, and how of his new CPU purchase.