hpr1951 :: Some additional Bash tips
More about expansion in Bash: this time arithmetic expansion
Hosted by Dave Morriss on Monday 2016-01-25 is flagged as Explicit and is released under a CC-BY-SA license.
Tags: Bash,expansion,arithmetic expansion,shell arithmetic,number base.
Listen in ogg, spx, or mp3 format. | Comments (2)
Part of the series: Bash Scripting
This is an open series in which Hacker Public Radio Listeners can share their Bash scripting knowledge and experience with the community. General programming topics and Bash commands are explored along with some tutorials for the complete novice.
Some additional Bash tips
As we saw in the last episode 1903 there are seven types of expansion applied to the command line in the following order:
- Brace expansion (we looked at this subject in episode 1884)
- Tilde expansion (seen in episode 1903)
- Parameter and variable expansion (this was covered in episode 1648)
- Command substitution (seen in episode 1903)
- Arithmetic expansion
- Word splitting
- Pathname expansion
There is also another, process substitution, which occurs after arithmetic expansion on systems that can implement it.
We will look at one more of these expansion types in this episode but since there is a lot to cover, we'll continue in a later episode.
I have written out a moderately long set of notes about this subject and these are available here https://hackerpublicradio.org/eps/hpr1951_full_shownotes.html.
This time, in the spirit of experimentation and as a way of learning Audacity I processed my audio thus:
Turned the stereo tracks to mono
Used a Noise Gate plug-in to reduce background noise (after "training" it on some silence)
Performed a Truncate Silence pass to reduce the length of pauses
Applied a small amount of amplification
Let me know if this had any positive or negative effects on the end product.
- Bash Reference Manual:
- HPR episode 1202 "LiTS 025: bc" hosted by Dann Washko: https://hackerpublicradio.org/eps.php?id=1202
- HPR episode 1648 "Bash parameter manipulation": https://hackerpublicradio.org/eps.php?id=1648
- HPR episode 1843 "Some Bash tips": https://hackerpublicradio.org/eps.php?id=1843
- HPR episode 1884 "Some more Bash tips": https://hackerpublicradio.org/eps.php?id=1884
- HPR episode 1903 "Some further Bash tips": https://hackerpublicradio.org/eps.php?id=1903
Automatically generated using whisper
<< First, < Previous, Next >, Latest >>
whisper --model tiny --language en hpr1951.wav